Queen Elizabeth cancels all virtual engagements for the day as her mild Covid symptoms persist.
Queen Elizabeth II will miss all virtual engagements on Tuesday because of mild symptoms from the coronavirus, Buckingham Palace said on Tuesday.
“As Her Majesty is still experiencing mild coldlike symptoms she has decided not to undertake her planned virtual engagements today, but will continue with light duties,” the palace said in a statement. “Further engagements over the coming week will be decided upon nearer the time.”
The 95-year-old monarch tested positive for the coronavirus on Sunday. She had met this month with her elder son and heir, Prince Charles, who was later reported to be reinfected with the coronavirus and went into isolation.
In a previous statement published on Sunday, the palace did not address whether Charles was the source of the infection. But officials have pointed to a recent outbreak of cases at Windsor Castle, suggesting she could have been infected by others in the royal household. The palace had previously said that the queen was “experiencing mild coldlike symptoms,” and that she would “continue light duties” over the coming week.
On Monday, she sent a message of condolence to the people of Brazil after deadly flooding and mudslides in the city of Petrópolis, a mountainous region north of Rio de Janeiro.
Buckingham Palace has labored to protect the queen from exposure to the virus. She retreated to Windsor Castle in early 2020 with her husband, Prince Philip, and lived in virtual quarantine for more than a year.
Elizabeth received a dose of a coronavirus vaccine in January 2021 at Windsor Castle, along with Philip. The palace has not confirmed any subsequent vaccine doses. Charles has said that he is fully vaccinated and boosted.
The queen’s illness comes as Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to lift coronavirus restrictions in England.